protectMi is an education campaign organized by a group of conservation-minded organizations. protectMi is the voice of the public lands and water where we find spaces for learning and exploring, havens for healing and solace, and outdoor recreational opportunities. We celebrate these outdoor spaces by raising awareness of their accessibility and sharing the stories of these projects that were funded through the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund.
We do this to protect the legacy of our public lands and water. Will you join us?
Thousands of community playgrounds, parks, greenways, nature preserves and beaches located all over the state – in rural communities, urban centers, and throughout.
103 state parks and recreation areas, 70 state game areas, and 15,500 miles of hiking, biking, equestrian, ORV, snowmobile and water trails.
More shoreline than any state other than Alaska. 11,00 inland lakes and access to more than 1,300 public boat launches. Leaving you never more than 6 miles from a body of water and 85 miles from a Great Lake.
Outdoor recreation is a strong force in our economy – locally and statewide.
in Wages & Salaries
in Consumer Spending
in State & Local Tax Revenue Salaries
Numerous studies demonstrate that nature and being outdoors is beneficial to our health and wellness in many ways. Many doctors have even taken to prescribing outdoor recreation to improve patient health and outcomes, including:
• Improved cognition and mental health.
• Decreased stress and lower blood pressure.
• Better student performance in school.
• Reduced allergies, obesity, and asthma.
Michigan’s public lands and spaces are one of the keys to building a strong quality of life across our communities and state.
• Retain and attract talent for Michigan to grow and thrive.
• Something for everyone – whether hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, kayaking, biking, snowmobiling, or the simple enjoyment of nature and countless parks and playgrounds.
• Facilities to assure access for all, regardless of location or physical ability.
• Connecting, nurturing, inspiring and uniting us.